Celebration Date Announced for Water Fest 2022
- Reading Water Fest on Saturday 4 June 2022, 11am – 5pm
- The free festival will celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
READING Council is delighted to announce its much-loved Reading Water Fest will take place earlier this year, on Saturday 4 June, to coincide with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend.
This accessible one-day event will take place between 11am and 5pm within the Forbury Gardens, Abbey Ruins and along the River Kennet.
Water Fest is Reading’s largest free town centre-based community event. It features an exciting mix of arts, culture and heritage, with a plethora of live entertainment, children’s activities and refreshments, water activities, narrow boats, craft and charity stalls.
The event celebrates and showcases the Kennet Canal in all its glory, along with the gorgeous and historic spots on its towpath, with the chance to spot beautifully painted boats and chat to boaters. It is run in partnership with the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust and will also partner with the Blue Collar Street Food event in the Forbury.
Karen Rowland, Reading’s Lead Councillor for Culture, Heritage and Recreation, said:
“We are pleased to announce Reading Water Fest 2022, this year timed to coincide with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend celebrations. I know all of Reading will be delighted to come together again, after all the uncertainties surrounding live events over the past two years. I personally, cannot wait!
“This exciting ‘Royal’ themed event will be brim full of exciting activities and performances, alongside arts and crafts activities galore, of which we’ll reveal more on soon. Last year we celebrated the 900th anniversary of the founding of the Abbey by Henry I, and with the Jubilee year this year, we are again gearing up for a celebration of royal magnitude – so get this date firmly in your diary!”
Anyone wishing to take part in the day, as a volunteer, by performing at the event or running a stall or activity, is encouraged to contact email@example.com by Friday 6 May 2022.
If you would like to run a charity, community or commercial stall on the day, please Click here and complete the online application form to secure your pitch. For further information visit https://www.reading.gov.uk/leisure/things-to-do/water-fest/
Karen added: “If you are interested in taking an active role in the celebrations - either as a volunteer, by performing at the event or running a stall or activity please get in touch with us. Demand is likely to be high – so please drop us a line as soon as possible.”
A whole host of Jubilee celebration events and activities will be taking place, including:
- A beacon lighting ceremony in the Abbey Ruins on the evening of 2 June 2022
- A specially created, augmented reality trail across Reading to link with our Mayor’s charity sponsored walk across Reading over the Jubilee weekend
- Trinity Concert Band children’s concert at the Forbury Bandstand on Sunday 5 June
- Jubilee exhibition at Berkshire Record Office - May 26 to August 26
- A range of Jubilee related activities at Reading Museum, including a Platinum Pudding Trail and Jubilee Dress-Up
- Reading Libraries Jubilee Rhymetime in the Forbury Gardens – Wednesday 3 August
- Jubilee Street Parties - 2 to 5 June